Asparagus, Leek & Smoked Salmon Chowder
Soup season continues! We combined locally sourced, seasonal veggies with our garlic pepper smoked salmon to make this Asparagus, Leek & Smoked Salmon Chowder. Fresh, filling, and a simple one pot dinner- this recipe is a winner!
- 1 package Wild Bay garlic pepper smoked salmon, chopped (reserve 2 T for garnish)
- 1 bunch asparagus, roasted and cut cut into 1” pieces, (reserve a few spears for garnish)
- 3 large leeks, white and green parts only, roughly chopped
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- 7 c. organic, low sodium chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. salt + more to taste
- ½ t. white pepper
- 1 c. half n half or oat milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season asparagus with olive oil, salt & pepper, roast for 20 min. and set aside.
- Melt butter with olive oil over medium heat in large pot or Dutch oven. Add the leeks, potatoes and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 20 min.
- Add the broth, asparagus, smoked salmon, half n half, bay leaves, thyme, and salt & pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 15 min. or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and puree with an immersion blender, or ladle into a standard blender and puree in batches. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve and garnish with sliced remaining asparagus spears & smoked salmon. Enjoy!